The IAVI Product Development Center serves the product development needs of the global health field
The IAVI Product Development Center’s (PDC) mission is to support product development activities of government, nonprofits, industry partners, and public-private partnerships in addition to IAVI’s own product development efforts. The PDC plays a critical role in global health by filling a gap in development of vaccines and monoclonal antibodies against infectious diseases that disproportionately affect people living in low- and middle-income countries. Today, investigators from the U.S. National Institutes of Health and European funding partners are among those who utilize IAVI’s PDC.
To our partners, IAVI’s PDC offers:
- A team of biopharmaceutical development experts who collectively have advanced dozens of vaccine and monoclonal antibody products through global regulatory agencies.
- An extensive network of contract research organizations, contract manufacturing organizations, and technology partners to accelerate development and minimize risk.
- Access to clinical research networks around the world, including in Africa and India.
- Over 20 years of vaccine development experience from projects using a wide range of technology platforms, including DNA, mRNA, and well-known viral vector platforms such as vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV), adenoviruses, and Modified Vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA).
We advance vaccines and antibodies through the pathway from discovery to licensure
The PDC’s interdisciplinary structure and focus was built to mirror the product development process at biopharmaceutical companies, allowing us to guide products from preclinical testing through to licensure and global access.
We work with funders and partners to understand the objectives and unique requirements of each project. We support each project through comprehensive project, program, and portfolio management, with collaborative governance structures. We use a global footprint model to conduct clinical trials, contract development and manufacturing organization, and contract research organization activities. We have found this integrated and collaborative approach enables us to advance products rapidly along the discovery to licensure pathway.
IAVI launched the Vaccine Product Development Center in 2013 with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
At the PDC, we:
- Innovate for the development of rapid, cost-efficient manufacturing processes.
- Accelerate the path from bench to clinic by conducting first-in-human clinical trials.
- Reduce costs through innovative clinical development strategies.
- Increase translational efficiency of vaccine and monoclonal antibody products, from research through development and beyond, by deploying a “fit-for-purpose” project team structure.
The PDC’s accomplishments include:
- 62 IAVI-sponsored clinical trials of HIV vaccines and antibodies and TB vaccines conducted in 13 countries.
- Delivered 53 vaccine and monoclonal antibody products.
- Advanced 23 vaccine and monoclonal antibody candidates into Phase 1/2 clinical trials.
Our product development process
Partnering with the PDC
IAVI is fortunate to work with a range of exciting partners in the development of new vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, and other biomedical innovations. If you or your organization is interested in partnering with the PDC, please reach out.