As one of Africa's largest gathering of HIV / AIDS activists and researchers, the 17th Annual International Conference on AIDS and STDs in Africa (ICASA) provides a forum for the exchange of experiences and lessons learned from around the world regarding the response to HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections.
This year's conference theme, “Now More Than Ever: Targeting Zero,” is derived from the UNAIDS vision for zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths, but also highlights the need to continue ensuring treatment access for everyone in Africa. South Africa's role as host country is highly symbolic, as it was here in 2000 that a turning point was reached in breaking the silence regarding AIDS in Africa, which resulted in an unprecedented commitment by donors, governments and civil society to increase treatment access in an effort to turn the tide of the AIDS epidemic.
The 17th ICASA is an opportunity to renew this global commitment by drawing the world’s attention to the legacy of HIV / AIDS research as we look towards the future. As many as 10,000 scientists, policy makers, activists, people living with HIV and government leaders will assemble in Cape Town for the conference to support the feasibility of an AIDS-free generation and to
1. Mobilize as an advocacy platform for African leaders, partners and communities to increase ownership, commitment and support to the AIDS response.
2. Exchange knowledge, skills and best practices in Africa and from around the world.
3. Galvanize support for evidence-based responses to Millennium Development Goals targeting HIV, AIDS, sexually transmitted infections, tuberculosis and malaria.
4. Create a platform for holding stakeholders accountable for scaling up and sustaining the AIDS response.
5. Define priorities and set policy and program agendas for enhanced resource mobilization.
The 2013 ICASA will be co-chaired by Professor Robert Soudre, President of the Society for AIDS in Africa (SAA), and Professor Ian Sanne, CEO of Right Care and Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of the Witwatersrand.
For more information about the conference, visit ICASA2013SouthAfrica.org
More information regarding IAVI-sponsored research presentations at ICASA 2013 will be posted here closer to the conference date; check in frequently for updates.